Saturday, March 10, 2012

Trip to the Zoo

This week's topic for my prep class is the letter Z. We do science on Thursday, so I decided we would "go to the zoo".

I told the kids on Wednesday, "Tomorrow, we're going to the zoo!" Earlier this week, I had printed "zoo brochures" for the kids. It was just eight empty cages on a piece of paper. Something they could take home at the end of the class.

On Thursday morning, I set up the classroom chairs to look like a bus. I had them take their seats and buckle their seat-belts as we drove to and around the zoo. I had prepared pictures of several animals and asked the kids to identify them along with what sound they made. And lastly, I put a stamp of that animal in their empty cages.

One of the students was dropped off by her mom just as "the bus pulled up at the zoo". The mom smiled at me and said, "So that's what Louisse was talking about. She said you were going to to zoo."

I was surprised and happy. I am a part of my students' lives now. I can make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment